The Monolith of Sciece

by David Engelhardt on Tuesday, March 15, 2011



I've been thinking about the god of science in our culture recently. Our culture has placed science as the standard of truth and even morality. The more I think about this it has led me to one conclusion with two premises. The conclusion is this; Science gives us no moral standard. The premises are that science gives us only two things: 1 longevity and 2 speed.

Science gives us longevity. In a developed culture we understand certain aspects of biology and this understanding creates longevity. We as a people live longer in a very practical sense. Our average age has gone up. We also have food and other products that can be sustained for a longer period of time with out breaking down.

Science gives us speed. A hundred years ago I could have sent a letter to a friend in Germany and would months later receive a reply. Now, in our current social stratus I can recieve and instantaneous reply. But not only my communicative needs but many other needs can be met at a far greater speed. Many instances come to mind but overwhelmingly our diverse desires for please can be met at a far greater rate.

Yes science meets needs practically but it gives us no morality. Science merely enhances the speed by which our morality is equated. This is not a benefit in a moral sense but rather a danger. In the scheme of morality if I have bad morality that is enacted faster I will then have faster brake down in a societal- social - and familial structure. If I live in a pre-sodomite nation technology will only increase the speed of which the desire for the average man to debase himself comes to pass.

I am reminded of Matthew 16, what good is it for a man to gain the world but loose his soul. It seems that the quickening of our corporal needs being met has been a trade off for our cultural soul. We have as a culture traded the world for our literal souls. We no longer believe in a fixed morality or a fixed soul as a part of a material body but rather a material body that has immediate needs met with a strong disbelief for the eternal soul. This concept is easily reckoned by the illustration if a man has all his physical needs met he is no longer thinking about death. We recognize that every man thinks about the eternal on his death bed. A society that consistently pushes death away also pushes away the need or the compulsion to recon with death, God, and his own eternal soul.

Whenever (the few times rather) I go to the hospital for a physical ailment I am quite certain it may be my last few hours on earth. I remember being in college under such circumstances. My immediate response was to sing my favorite hymns (modern hymns) as I would (so I thought) be meeting my maker. Alas I survived but the impression is significant. If we have an eternal perspective we live with eternity in our pragmatic lives. I think that is why there is talk in the new testament about Jesus eminent return. Not so we stand with our eyes fixed on the clouds but rather that we walk and act with our hearts in view of eternity.

Maybe microwaves aint so great-

One comment

I love what you said about eternity...it's so true.

by Molly on March 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM. #

Leave your comment

About this Blog

I recognize that most people write blogs for their own creative exercise. This is the purpose of this blog. This blog is also a bit of a dream journal, as I am one who has detailed dreams. There may well be profound thoughts or at least profound to me, if you think of any please comment-