My top Five books

by David Engelhardt on Thursday, March 17, 2011

I've been trying to read more. I usually have three or four books going at a time. I'm sure I would get through them quicker if I just worked on one at a time. My mind is a little sporadic and I get bored quickly (lack of mental discipline). I finally finished my favorite book of all time. It took me time to get through not because of it's length but because of it's depth. I decided I 'd like to share my favorite books list. This will likely change over the course of the next few years. Here it is in it's current Glory.

1. (the Bible)
This doesn't really count as a book and shouldn't be on this list. The Bible is phenomenal on three levels. 1; face value, the reading is generally wonderful and uncomfortable, 2; it is clear 3; it is multi-dimensional.

2. Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
This is a book of paradoxes. And it teaches one to think in paradox. I think Jesus is paradoxical. Orthodoxy is the most profound piece of philosophical literature I have ever read. It's heavy and light, funny and tragic, brilliant and dumb. Please read it.

3. Suprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
This is the story of Lews' life, how he found faith. Personal narratives are wonderful and this book is deeply personal. This is not a common top tenner of the Lewis books. When I read this book I was swept to a few different locations standing beside (or in) Lewis.

4. 1984 By George Orwell
Tragic political commentary in narrative.

5. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Amazing writing style.


Next bunch I like. In no particular order.

How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

Catfish and Mandala By Andrew X Pham,

She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall by Misty Bernall

Life at the Bottom by Theodore Dalrympl

God Spoke Tibetan: The Epic Story of the Men Who Gave the Bible to Tibet by Allan Maberly

Of Mice an Men by John Steinbeck

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

The Man who was Thursday GK Chesterton



Leave your comment

About this Blog

I recognize that most people write blogs for their own creative exercise. This is the purpose of this blog. This blog is also a bit of a dream journal, as I am one who has detailed dreams. There may well be profound thoughts or at least profound to me, if you think of any please comment-